Let me clarify that. Mendota Slip Leads Rule!
In my 12 years of being a dog trainer I have yet to find a better slip lead. Not only is the company wonderful but the quality of product far exceeds its competitors.
My top 5 reasons for boasting about slip leads:
1. No Clip - If you have ever lost a dogs tags because you accidentally clipped your snap leash to the tag ring instead of the collar ring you know my joy in avoiding that ordeal at all costs.
2. Use with Any Collar - All my dogs wear their collars on the loose side. I like being able to slide their collar on without fussing with buckles or clips. However this can present a problem for a dog still mastering their leash skills. Thanks to the Slip Lead this issue is no longer, well... an issue. You can use any collar you like!
3. On and Off with Ease - If you enjoy taking your pup to off leash areas, this leash will become a favorite. Simply slip the leash off or on in a fraction of a moment. No more having to take off your gloves to use the snap or bending over (unless your pup is tiny) to reach your dogs collar. You can even teach your dog to "get dressed" and make the job even easier.
4. Uses Pressure Point - When it comes to training a pulling dog to ease up my favorite tool is the Slip Lead. Using the leather stopper these leads fit perfectly over the pressure point behind a dogs ears. By adding this slight consequence to a dogs dragging habit we can see instant results. As with any tool, and any dog, there are many ways to use it appropriately and we advise you to seek out your trainer for advice.
5. Comfortable and Cleanable - The quality of material used by Mendota for their Slip Leads is top notch. Soft and flexible from day one, there will be no rope burn from these babies. Added bonus they are washable too!
Foam/Rubber Handled Leashes:
Don't let that handle fool you.
Sadly this nifty new style doesn't hold up in the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Before long either the foam/rubber apparatus goes missing, leaving your hand left with the uncomfortable nylon rope, or the leash is adorned with good old fashion duck tape (got to love that look!) in an attempt to hold everything together.
Save yourself from having to replace this leash by avoiding it.
Retractable Leashes (AKA Flexi Leads):
Step away from the flexilead!
There are far to many reasons to avoid using this type of leash to all be listed in this small blog post. I will simply say for the safety of you and your dog and for the sanity of your dog trainer please avoid using retractable leashes.
If you would like to learn exactly why check out these links.
Dr Becker - That Dog
Leashes Made with "Harsh" Material:
Think of your end of the leash.
99% of dogs will have some pulling going on in the beginning of their walking life. Be sure to pick a leash that is comfortable in your hands.
I recommend leather, cotton fabric or webbing and soft rope. We have a nice selection of leashes here at Active K9.
Avoid leashes made of chain, rough nylon (both flat and rope) and plastic type materials.
When it comes to meal time for the lovely dogs in our care we have established a few guidelines to ensure a smooth tasty time. Please read through the information and directions below.
Packing meals for Montessori Dog School & Sleepover visits
Lunch or Arranged Late Pick-Up Dinner:
When packing food for Montessori Dog School there are a few things to keep in mind.
Is your dog under 6 months of age? (Dogs older than 6 months are typically ready for 2 meals a day)
Is s/he polite when food is around? (no growling or guarding)
Does s/he eat in a timely manner? (15 min or less)
Did you answer yes to the questions above? Great now follow the directions below.
1. Separate each serving size into plastic baggies or tupperware.
2. Label each baggie with your dogs first and last name.
3. Leave the bowl at home! We have plenty of bowls here at Active K9.
Step to packing your dogs meals for Sleepovers:
1. Separate each serving size into plastic baggies.
2. Label each baggie if necessary (i.e. breakfast vs dinner or days of the week).
3. Pack all baggies into a labeled (Dog's First & Last Name) carrier. Think reusable grocery bag.
4. Include instructions if necessary (such as must be refrigerated).
5. Leave the bowl at home! We have plenty of bowls here at Active K9.
Raw Food! We love it!
Already feeding a raw food diet to your dog? Gold Star for you! We are happy to feed dogs their raw diet during visits here at Active K9.
If you not yet feeding a raw food diet but are willing and able I can promise you won't regret the switch. The benefits are numerous! I won't go into it all now but if you would like to learn more you can read more here or contact us with any questions you may have.
A bonus for raw feeders - Sleepover dogs fed a raw diet are offered a $5 discount as a thank you from us at Active K9. (Thank You for having a dog with smaller less frequent poops!)
Picking a Dry Dog Food
Not all dry food is created equal. Some brands allow poor quality ingredients, excess of fillers and artificial coloring/flavors, all of which can be detrimental for a dog's health. For this reason (& for the sake of our poop scoopers) we have restricted the use of 4 particular brands.
You will find those brands listed below in addition to the brands most recommended for quality and those commonly chosen at our local pet stores. To learn more about picking the best dog food for your dog visit dogfoodadvisor.com